Toby has over 29 years of experience including more than two years as a Bank President and CEO. He has served literally hundreds of financial institutions ranging in size from $30 million to well over $16 billion in total assets. Toby has also served as a consultant to the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (“FDIC”) both in the early 1990s in the resolution of the savings and loan “crisis” and again during the recent economic crisis. The services provided included 1) performing studies on why certain financial institutions failed and what the FDIC can do to improve its examination process going forward, 2) performing operational reviews on both the FDIC’s process to market and sale the assets of failed banks and monitor the agreements in place with the entities who acquired these assets, and 3) performing performance audits on entities that acquired assets of failed banks to determine whether these parties complied with their agreements with the FDIC.
Toby also served the Federal Housing Finance Agency that oversees Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and the Federal Home Loan bank System where he provided on-going financial analysis on a quarterly basis of the three enterprises and an operational review of the foreclosed real estate operations of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.
Toby Lawrence, CPA
Toby’s consulting experience includes providing loan review, internal audit program development and outsourcing, merger and acquisition, regulatory compliance, strategic planning, profit improvement and operational review services, litigation support, and preparation of regulatory applications for community credit unions.
- 27 years accounting, auditing and consulting experience serving financial institutions ranging in size from $30 million to $ 16 billion in total assets.
- 2+ years of experience as the President and CEO of a community bank. During this same time Toby served on the Board of Directors of both the bank where he was employed and at another community bank.
- Toby has performed loan file reviews on commercial and commercial real estate loans ranging in size from $200,000 to $30 million dollars. He has provided these services for approximately 100 different banks or credit unions in his career located in 23 separate states.
- Provided assistance with complex transactions as a securitization of $500 million in loans and the purchase of $3 billion in assets from the FDIC.
- Assisted in over 45 merger and acquisition transactions by marketing the institution or identifying the target, negotiating the definitive agreement, performing or overseeing due diligence, and filing the necessary regulatory applications.
- Assisted foreign depository institutions with their efforts to implement the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA).
- Prepared the necessary regulatory applications, financial projections, major policies and procedures, and business plans and advised the founders of numerous de novo banks throughout the United States.
- Project Director on an engagement for a $1 billion (U.S. dollars) dollar bank located in Jamaica. Assisted this bank in restructuring its internal control structure and financial reporting processes.
- Project Manager for an internal control study of the Resolution Trust Corporation, an 18,500 hour project requiring supervision of five sites spread throughout the United States and a 50-member staff.
- Provided expert testimony in the valuation of claims brought by countries and individual companies against the country of Iraq for their unlawful invasion of Kuwait. Engaged by the United Nations Compensation Council to provide expert testimony in Geneva, Switzerland on claims totaling in excess of $350 million (U.S. dollars).
- Bachelor’s of arts, accounting from University of Northern Iowa
- Certified Public Accountant
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Iowa Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Junior Achievement of Eastern Iowa
- Big Brothers Big Sisters
- Theatre Cedar Rapids